Edward A. Fox
CTO, Founder, Ph.D.
See long CV or highlights below.
Dr. Fox is Chief Technology Officer of Mayfair Group LLC.
- Executive Director, Chairman of the Board, and Founder,
Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
(NDLTD), making graduate research accessible
- Elected Member, Computing Research Association Board, advocating computing
- Chairman and Founder, Student Information Processing Board, MIT (with co-founder
Bob Frankston, co-inventor of spreadsheets (1968-1971)
- Member, ACM Publications Board (1988-1992, 2018-present),
and Co-chair, Digital Library Committee
- Member, Advisory Board, DELOS Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries,
funded by the European Union's 6th Framework Programme (2004-2008)
- Member, Governing Board, Internet Technology Innovation Center,
funded by Virginia's Center for Innovative Technologies (1998-2004)
- Many additional advisory boards and editorial boards
(e.g., IEEE Thesaurus Board, IJDL, JEMH, JIIS, JUCS, MTAP, and PeerJ CS)
- Consulting with law firms since 2000 on patent litigation,
deposed more than 7 times, testifying in 3 trials,
many expert reports
- Research and teaching on:
human-computer interaction (user studies),
information storage and retrieval (i.e., search engines),
natural language processing/computational linguistics,
. . .
Honors and Awards
- (Co)Principal Investigator on 128 research grants/contracts, from
Advance Auto Parts, AOL, ARPA, AT&T, BAE Systems,
Chemical Abstracts Service, Dept. of Educ., Google, IBM, IMLS,
Intel, Natl. Ag. Lib., Mellon, Microsoft, NCR, NEH, Nimbus Records,
NIH, NIJ, NIST, NLM, NSF, NSWC, OCLC, PRC Inc., QNRF, Sun, UNESCO,
U.S. Dept. of Education, Virginia CIT, West Publishing Co., . . .
- ACM Fellow, cited for contributions in information retrieval and
digital libraries; 7 ACM Recognition of Service Awards
- IEEE Fellow, cited for leadership in digital libraries and
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's Who
- MIT William Stewart Award
- Elected Vice Chair, Chair of the ACM Special Interest Group on
Information Retrieval, SIGIR (1987-1995)
- Elected Chairman, IEEE-CS Technical Committee on Digital Libraries
(2004-2008, and Executive Committee member since)
- Chair (now a member), ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on
Digital Libraries (JCDL) Steering Committee (2003-present);
General Chair JCDL 2001;
Co-Program Chair JCDL 2018
- (Co)Chair or (Co)Program Chair for many conferences and workshops
Academic Experience and Accomplishments
Dr. Fox is a Professor in Computer Science (with a courtesy appointment
in Electrical and Computer Engineering) at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg,
He joined VT in 1983 after completing his Ph.D. in Computer Science at
His B.S. at MIT was completed in 1972.
He directs the Digital Library Research Laboratory.
He is (co)author/editor of 19 books, 130 journal/magazine articles,
224 refereed conference/workshop papers, 67 keynote/distinguished lectures,
84 tutorials, and 615 other publications/reports/presentations.
He has run capstone courses for over 25 years, with hundreds of
student teams working on service learning term projects with real clients,
awarded for innovative problem-based teaching, aided by technology.
At Virginia Tech he runs the Digital Library Research Laboratory
(since 1998, deploying innovative information systems to serve communities),
was President of the Engineering Faculty Organization (2015-2017),
and served 1990-2014 as Associate Director for Research at the Computing
Center and then as Faculty Advisor to Information Technology.
For More Information
Working With You
We can help your company develop, deploy, and refine products and
services built upon the leading research and development work of
If you are interested in learning more, or would like to
participate in beta testing,
please click here
to contact Mayfair Group for more information.
© 2018 Mayfair Group LLC